Talk about the Tao Te Ching

Tao Te Ching meaning. Some brief notes to stimulate conversation.

Tao te Ching Chapter 1

The basic premise that this forum and any discussion of the Tao break this idea in chapter one;

"That which can be named is not Tao, the name is not the named"

It is one of the most important aspects of dealing with the Tao, yet many words have been written. I feel though that if anyone would like to discuss tao here then it is great. So long as it is to aid breaking old concepts and not to try to rigidly pin down that which can not be named.

4 comments:

Anne Partain said...

Hi, I haven't really studied these ideas from this direction. I hear you asking for conversation. I would love to comment on these for that purpose. Thank you

This one brings to mind the flow, or self that we all are?

Tao said...

Much can be found in any line so I am interested what others think when they read the Tao Te Ching.

I often draw new ideas from each reading and that is one reason I still keep reading the little book, and many translations.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I know my snippets do not say much on their own so I am happy for the input here.

To list all possible ways of reading each verse would fill pages :)

Samantha Catania said...

Named things have boundary and limitations, but the Tao (the unnamed) is infinite.

Tao said...

nice Samantha